DEAR HARRIETTE: My family’s COVID stimulus money is running out, and the bills are starting to add up.

Harriette Cole 

Playing Division I sports is the only way I can stay in school because I cannot afford tuition. I’m on a sports scholarship.

My problem is that all of my time goes to practice, training and traveling for games, so I cannot get a job. Should I sacrifice my scholarship by getting a job?

College Athlete

DEAR COLLEGE ATHLETE: Ideally, you should finish school. The gift of a full scholarship is valuable.

If you can figure out how to hold on to it and complete your studies, that would be best. Talk to the financial aid office to find out if there are any work-study jobs on campus. In some instances, you can even do your homework while on the job. If your sports responsibilities give you any flexibility, this may be an option.

You may also want to take out a loan. Yes, you will have to pay it back, but college tuition loans offer a very low rate for repayment. In this way, you can finish school and then get a job.

Talk to your school’s loan officer and review all of your options before you step away from college. Good luck.

DEAR HARRIETTE: It’s taking me longer than the average person to get my master’s degree. I’ve had to work several jobs throughout school just to make ends meet.

Recently, I applied for a job that I did not think I would get; I ended up being offered the job a few days later. It has amazing benefits and a great salary, but it’s a full-time position, so there’s no way that I’d be able to complete my master’s while working.

Should I give up on my master’s and start this new job? There is no guarantee that I’ll get this kind of opportunity again.

Graduate Student

DEAR GRADUATE STUDENT: Many graduate students have found themselves in your exact position. It can be hard, but it is possible to complete your degree and work full-time. Yes, it may take longer, but it can happen.

Talk to your school about putting your education on pause for a year. In that way, you can get acclimated to your job. Find out if you can take night or weekend classes to finish the curriculum. If your current school does not comfortably allow redesigning your schedule, you may want to transfer to complete your education at another university. Carve out a time to write your thesis during weekends and scheduled breaks.

Research your new employer’s policy on continuing education. In many businesses, this is encouraged. In fact, some businesses actually support their employees in their advanced education pursuits after they have proven themselves on the job. That support can come in the way of time off, and sometimes companies actually pay for your classes.

Harriette Cole is a lifestylist and founder of DREAMLEAPERS, an initiative to help people access and activate their dreams. You can send questions to askharriette@harriettecole.com or c/o Andrews McMeel Syndication, 1130 Walnut St., Kansas City, MO 64106.